Saturday, March 26, 2005

 

Jack Of All Trades

I think many people don't realise how important game selection is in tournaments. Surely everyone knows that it's a big part of cash play, or at least everyone who thinks about anything more than the two cards in their hand (or six, depending on your taste in sick cash games). With the huge choice now available on-line, it's a big factor in tournaments too. For a start you have standard MTTs, 50/30/20 Sit and Goes, winner-take-all single tables, super-satellites, 6-handed versions of all of the above, and while No-Limit accounts for about 90% of the action, there are enough other games around to give you plenty of options. Then you have the different player populations on each site. If you play a particular site because you like the software, that's all very well, but you could be costing yourself $$$. IMO Pokerstars has by far the best software (and customer support), but also generally the toughest (or least soft) tournament fields. All in all, there's a lot to consider.

I keep changing my mind about where my focus should be. Only three weeks ago I said on here "I'll stick with the Sit and Goes". Now I've binned them for the moment, and am mostly playing MTTs. It's important to keep an eye open for good games as they come and go. This means having accounts with as many of the major sites as possible - although I will admit that I currently don't play Ladbrokes and Ultimate Bet for the main reason that they both sponsor so many twats. You have to make a stand somewhere :-). Ladbrokes suck anyway because they don't allow American players, as I have mentioned before. Anyway before I ramble too much, keep your options and your eyes wide open, because games will come and go, change and mutate very quickly. What's important is that you have the knowledge to step into any format and adjust to it. Structure defines strategy. You must always think about how to adapt your play to the structure of the game. Don't just whinge about short levels and so on - think how to adjust, and do it. Follow the money !

Which is why I am going to the Vic today to play a super-satellite for their £1500 comp next week. Normally I'd rather have my eyes pulled out but Brighton is on, Dublin is on, there's a fair chance that the field will be well populated with sunglasses boys, and most of all Blue Square are adding two seats, £3000 in cold hard cash. Good for them, at least someone realises how to sponsor for value. It's the least I can do to cough up a fiver rake and give it a spin. See if I can out-rock the rocks !

Evening update : I did play, no good. No need to out-rock any rocks - the small tournament/satellite dynamic has changed in the Vic, perhaps forever, as I was discussing with Bad Beat in the bar beforehand. It must have changed if he can win twice in a row ;-). Felt I was Lord and Master of my table, worked 2K up to 4K, flopped nuts geezer check raised all in with flush draw you know the rest, not much happened after that, all in 2700 (blinds 300-600) with 44 called by AQ flop A goodnight. I didn't want to play the stupid £1500 anyway so nyeah. I did feel it was a waste of such a beautiful afternoon to hang around the Vic. I should have been playing online at home with the window open.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?